Objectives of Watershed Development Programme
Watershed is a geo-hydrological unit of an area draining to a common outlet point. The soil and water conservation measures are undertaken to develop the watershed with ridge to valley approach. Watershed development leads to
- In situ conservation of soil moisture and top soil.
- Rainwater harvesting and drainage of excess water. Providing supplementary irrigation, regeneration of soil fertility.
- Improved agricultural productivity through use of conserved soil moisture, growing better crops and changing cropping pattern.
- Judicious use of natural resources (such as land, water, plants, animals) for creating livelihood opportunities for people living within a watershed area.
- Creation of a clientele base for credit absorption for creating/enhancing livelihood activities.